First of all, SXSW= South by Southwest. It is a festival, based out of Austin, TX, that revolves around emerging music, films, and technology. But this doesn’t really tell you what the famous gathering is about. For a week in March—this past week, specifically—every hip, influential, and innovative person in the country makes the journey to the fest. This might be an exaggeration. But it does seem like the lineup of events is a who’s-who in popculture.
In case you missed the action and warm weather, here’s a quick rundown of the week’s highlights:
- Education is important! (duh) Better education means better and more innovative American businesses. Also, more women need to be in technology.
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt debuted as a writer and director with Don Juan, which featured Tony Danza as Gordon-Levitt’s father. The two last worked with each other in 1994’s Angels in the Outfield.
- Musical keynote speaker Dave Grohl spoke about his crazy, awesome music history, as well as his love for “Gangnam Style” and his current band’s name: “Finding a good band name is still the hardest f–king part. Foo Fighters is the stupidest f–king name.”
- Justin Timberlake and Prince performed on the same night. People went nuts.
- People got to meet Grumpy Cat.
- There was some AMAZING new technology, such as this motion controlled computer and these GPS shoes. I think I need them.