Merriam-Webster dictionary defines love as ” strong affection for another arising out of kinship or personal ties and/or attraction based on sexual desire.” Whichever category you fall under ( or a combination of the two), you know that love has vexed humanity since the dawn of time. The cavemen dealt with it. The Romans dealt with it. Kings and Queens have killed (literally) over it. In today’s high tech/high speed world, we must still wrestle with this emotion called love.
To add to the pressure, we have Valentine’s Day. It’s right around the corner and it’s a day that you’re either giddy about or dreading it. Valentine’s Day is the day that everyone is either all lovey-dovey or very grumpy. But either way, it is a day to celebrate love.
If you’re down to the wire on what to get that special someone in your life, here are a few ideas to help make the day as painless as possible:
1. Make a gift – Time to dust off art skills and create your special someone something ( a mixtape of favorite songs, a scrapbook of dating memories) they will always treasure (if you have no artistic talent, enlist a friend to help you).
2. Personalize a gift – Give your special someone something that you KNOW he/she will use (gift card to a fave store, movie or show tickets, pet sit their four-legged buddy, etc.).
3. Write poetry – Check out the love sonnets of William Shakespeare for ideas. You can also go to Poetry.com or The Poetry Foundation for writing poetry tips.
4. Create a video – Combine your feelings with technology – sure to prove entertaining!
5. Use the old standbys – You know what they are – flowers, chocolates, dinner, etc. They still have a place in this fast-paced world.
Remember, it’s the THOUGHT that counts! Whatever you do, it will be appreciated!